Book Production Services
I regularly provide production help to Christian authors, as led by the Spirit. Feel free to contact me. What I want to do below is give you some idea of the options I offer. We can also negotiate custom relationships.
Radiqx Press Production Charges
Most of my books are done as a whole, so editing, proofing, formatting, exporting for upload are all part of the same process. I normally charge $60/hour for my billable time. To prepare a manuscript for publishing here are fee ranges:
- Formatting and uploading the book: This includes simple proofing. Print PDF, downloadable PDF, ePUB, and Kindle KF8 versions are produced.
- $150 minimum; $2.00 per page as formatted in InDesign + $50 for uploading
- Editing: This is simple editing for readability: rewriting, grammar cx, and typos. I quickly format in InDesign so I can get an ebook to edit. If you are in a word processor, I send you an RTF or DOC file
- $100 minimum; $2.00 per page
- Graphic production: This is for photos and graphics to be added. Charge includes resizing, cropping, plus converting for ePUBs and Kindle books. I can work with InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator images, plus PSDs, PDFs, and Tiffs. All images must be vector or 300 dpi and better. JPEGs, GIFs, and PNGs are not normally acceptable because of their low resolution and generally poor quality.
- $7.00 per image
- Cover designs & dust jackets:
- $100 minimum for a cover with a supplied idea and graphics (300 dpi+ Photo, Scan, fine art image or vector art).
- With no ideas, minimum is $100 to $250.
- Traditional cover design process with a half dozen roughs and a final executed cover starts at $600, plus $100 per customer ordered redo.
- All fees are paid 50% in advance non-refundable, and 50% upon receipt of the final artwork.
These charges are based on a printed 6×9 page with a single four inch wide column: If you need prices per word, just let me know and I’ll figure them out.
Different publishing options
On-Demand Publishing by Radiqx Press
The Author & Publisher agree to publish on-demand products using the author’s manuscript and pictures.
There is no up-front charge to the author and royalties are split 35% author, 65% Radiqx Press: Royalties are received by Radiqx Press and distributed as they are received.
Ebook publishing by Radiqx Press
The Author & Publisher agree to publish on-demand products based on the author’s work.
The publisher pays for the print production as seen above. Radiqx Press covers the on-demand ebook production at no charge. The author receives all print royalties and can buy printed copies at cost. Ebook royalties are split 50% author, 50% Radiqx Press: Royalties are received by Radiqx Press and distributed as they are received.
Author’s work: [the author]
- Manuscript & graphics: The author will provide all the written materials, photographs, and illustrations in a digital format that can be used by the publisher for the book
- The author gives the right to the publisher to produce various versions and editions to market the product in print, web, or any other media.
- The author &/0r copyright holder retains all rights: He or she can terminate the contract and stop publishing at any time with a written notice via email or snail mail.
- Author’s warranty: The author warrants that he/she is the sole owner of the work, without any underlying license or restriction, and has full power and authority to copyright said work & make this agreement. He/she further warrants that nothing contained in the work will cause injury to the reader and that the publisher has no responsibility for the content at all [unless specifically noted in the work].
- Proofs: Normally, the assumption will be made that the author submitted proofed and corrected copy. Any other arrangements are to be stipulated in the contract.
- Author’s changes: Changes to the manuscript after production begins normally incur a fee.
- Permissions: The work contains no materials from other copyrighted works without the written consent of the copyright owner. It is the author’s responsibility to obtain such permission.
- Original art: The author shall not submit original artwork or manuscripts, but digital copies of the same.
- Traditional Printing & Proofing: Costs of this are born by the author unless otherwise stipulated in the contract. Cost of the proofs always includes a copy for the exclusive use of the publisher.
- Rights grants: The author grants Radiqx Press the non-exclusive right to publish the work or excerpts of the work covered by this agreement in the manner and media the publisher decides to use—including marketing, blogging, & so forth.
- Marketing: Author is responsible for any costs involved in marketing the book (with prior written approval).
Radiqx’ Work: [the publisher]
- Production & design: All edited copy, designs, & layout are copyrighted by the publisher and remain under its sole control. Upon termination (see 1a) author/owner may negotiate with the publisher to purchase the rights to use the digital files according to the fees stipulated in the contract. Moving the edited copy, designs, & layout to another publisher is not allowed until the work is released by the publisher in writing.
- All graphic production is the responsibility of the publisher: (charges as stipulated in the contract). As necessary, the publisher may consult with the author about design issues, but the final decision is the publisher’s to make.
- Editing: the publisher has the right to make limited editing changes as long as they do not make any substantial changes to the meaning. For changes in doubt, it is the publisher’s responsibility to point them out to the author and get written permission.
- Author’s changes to Radiqx’ designs are subject to Radiqx’ approval: Charges are possible & negotiable.
- Changes demanded by the author over Radiqx objection: will halt production & be charged the normal rates for fee-based production. The fees will be stipulated, and paid, before production is resumed.
- Disagreements on changes: Publication will be halted until agreement is reached or the agreement is terminated.
- Infringement: The publisher can, at any time, take legal action to protect the published work. After deducting expenses for such action, any money or product recovered shall be split 50/50 with the author.
- Publishing fair practice: The publisher, without attempting to define or limit its rights, expressly reserves the right to:
- Not publish: the work
- Edit the work: or any revision of it
- Assess costs: market size & Demographics, and determine printing types and quantity
- Publish in the style the publisher decides is best suited to the sale of the work: in one or several volumes with layouts adjusted to match the needs of the media
- Make any changes necessary: for the various formats chosen
- Fix or alter the title
- Set the pricing: determine the royalties
- Determine the method & means of marketing & all other publishing details: including the distribution of free copies, printing technology, paper used, ink used, colors, and the like.
Income from the book:
- Royalties: The author and publisher will spit the royalties of the work as stipulated above. The publisher will collect the royalties and disburse the author’s portion within 30 days of receipt of money. Returns and disputes will be deducted from future royalties.
- Paypal: All money transfers will be made using Paypal. Authors are required to have a Paypal account for accepting payment. All royalties are forfeit without a Paypal account.
- Assignment: This agreement, its responsibilities, and its benefits with be passed on to the beneficiaries of the author and publisher, if that becomes necessary.
DATED SEPTEMBER 2013: SUBJECT TO CHANGE