Identify works of Satan before the warfare begins. Simply lashing out can cause issues. We don’t want to hurt the people involved in the problem. Trying to force a deliverance on a person with mental damage can cause even more damage. You are building a case, seeking insight from the Lord about how to proceed. The warfare is against any evil spirits involved. You are not fighting people. You are seeking to bring healing and wholeness to the person involved.
Identify works of Satan before warfare begins if at all possible
It’s a simple, easy process for the spirit-filled born-again believer. If you are not, you are asking for trouble. This is not a game, or entertainment. You will not understand these things until you have been born of God. If this hasn’t happened yet in your life, you need to take care of that first. Your choice is simple. Meet Jesus now!
If you have not received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, seek it. You may need to apologize to the person you want to pray for. Tell them you need to pray about some things, seeking guidance. Don’t be embarrassed. You’re showing true wisdom.
Jesus is the Baptizer in the Holy Spirit. Simply ask Him to do it in you, or find a spirit-filled person to lay hands on you and pray for the baptism. Jesus loves to give his people gifts. Remember, John the Baptist told us that Jesus was coming to baptize with the Holy Spirit and Fire. (Luke 3:16) You need spiritual power to fight spiritual enemies. It’s part of our resources as a new creation. But you have to ask Him for it.
Signs you’re dealing with the enemy
We’re looking for fruit. Jesus told us in Matthew 7: 17-18, “…every good tree bears good fruit. But a corrupt tree bears evil fruit. A good tree cannot bear evil fruit, nor can a corrupt tree bear good fruit.” So, the question become, What is enemy fruit? Many of these things are surprisingly obvious, once you are looking.
- Strong irrational fear is a clear indicator. If a person is terrified for no reason, suspect enemy spirits. If they have no idea what they are afraid of, this gives you a strong clue. If the fear seems to be coming from outside them, you have another one.
- Incapacitating confusion is another. If the person has trouble communicating due to confusion, you have another clue.
- Overwhelming lusts of the flesh can be another. Continual thoughts and desires about sex, violence, murder can incapacitate some with the enemy spirits triggering seemingly spontaneous actions.
- Compulsive urgency to act now is another. The enemy often pushes for immediate action, without thought, just do it! These spirits want to get a person to do something he or she would not normally do using panic to push that person into instant action.
- Speaking with the voice of another can give you more direct knowledge of actual possession. When it happens, it is obvious.
- Self-destructive behavior is a common fruit of enemy activity. This can be seen in an insistent urge to suicide, cutting the flesh, taking insane risks, feelings of invincibility, intentional attempts to overdose.
- Uncontrollable rage maybe the enabling act to give a foul spirit access within a person’s mind—resulting in possession.
- Blind hatred of believers can be, especially if the person involved reacts to someone they do not know is a believer.
- Works of evil spiritual power can only be done with evil spiritual help. Curses, amulets, spells, hexes, charms, voodoo, and many more variations require the power of evil spirits.
If an enemy spirit is involved, it becomes clear fairly quickly.
Getting the job done, start praying
Ask the person involved if they want Jesus to set them free. Get their permission to pray. Then pray for protection for the people in the group, their families, pets, and so on. The Lord will do that, if you ask.
You should start praying in tongues. This infuriates the evil spirits causing more manifestations. Bind it and stop the manifestations. You don’t have to put up with that. You will be enabled to pray through the Holy Spirit and get direct help and counsel about what is really happening. While you’re praying, be listening for words of knowledge and wisdom from the same Holy Spirit. He will show you what to do. Don’t talk with the evil spirit, it’s a compulsive liar and worse.
Once the Lord has shown you what is going on, and what you are to do about it, simply be obedient. Follow His instructions. It doesn’t take emotion, volume, or strain. Simple prayers, like, “You foul spirit who is causing this manifestation, or this problem (be specific), I take authority over you in the name of Jesus and tell you to go.” Tell it where to go (I usually say to the outer darkness) so it doesn’t cause problems with other people, children, or pets in the place where you are. You can proceed in absolute faith, knowing that this type of prayer always works. Jesus has absolute authority over the situation, and you are in Him.
When you’re done, lead the person who has been set free into a saving knowledge of Jesus—if they don’t know Him. You need to get him or her filled with the Holy Spirit to fill any void left by a departing spirit. If they will not do it, warn them of their danger. Tell them to call upon Jesus when the trouble comes back. For it almost certainly will. If they’re reborn, the problem has been solved and they are free of the evil spirit.