I’m working on 1 Timothy and ended up writing a little blurb about Godly training.
I thought I’d put the list up and see if you think I missed anything, or messed it up.
- Reading scripture: Increasingly we find that simply reading scripture like a well-loved novel has great benefit. It is literally feeding your soul with raw materials for the Holy Spirit to use in your life.
- Studying scripture: This takes the raw food received in your simple reading and makes it into a meal. As we ask the Lord to show us what to study, we come to know Him better, we get direct guidance with solutions for our daily problems and issues that we face. We get instruction in how to live, what to do, how to react, and so on.
- Constant prayer: I do not have much use for formalized ritualized prayer. It needs to be a constant, ongoing conversation with your Lord. You should be praying about everything.
- Thanksgiving: God deserves it and you need to remind yourself about all the things He does for you.
- Praise him in the midst of trouble and trial: There is great power found in praising Him when trials strike. First, He inhabits the praises of His people. Second, it makes the enemy really angry and frustrated. Third, it reminds you of the truth of the Gospel.
- Find fellowship: You need a place where you can get serious help: prayer, testimony, bible study, accountability, and so on. Most churches do not provide this anymore. So, you may well have to look outside your church or start a group.
- Find someone to mentor or disciple: One of the best ways to grow is to be responsible for the growth and well-being of someone else. Teaching is the best way to learn.
- Do good for others: Don’t take the world’s advice on this. Ask the Lord what he wants you to do and who to do it for. He’s the only one who knows what is really good for a particular person. Handouts can really hurt a person who needs to learn to be self-reliant—trusting the Lord for his or her daily bread, for example.
All of these things can easily be recommended—BUT—you must seek the Lord on what he has for your personal program of godly training. He has one that will work the best for you—helping you to grow the most quickly and making your life fruitful.
Please let me know what you think is missing…